Thursday, July 8, 2010

DESIGNER SPOTLIGHT: ANTON HEUNIS

Hello everyone and Happy Thursday!




I am so excited to have had the opportunity to sit down with one of Fragments' most fabulous fashion jewelry designers, Anton Heunis. The amazing Anton, born in South Africa, is now settled in Madrid where his talent combined with extraordinary craftsmanship produces some of the boldest, most fun jewelry around. His use of color is stunning, his shapes and proportions are exciting and his designs are constantly evolving. He never ceases to amaze us. And not only does he create beautiful jewelry, he is also a very warm, wonderful and fun person. I had a chance to ask him my favorite 20 questions, and boy did he have fun with them. We absolutely love his answers and hope they give you a bit of insight into our beloved Anton Heunis:

1. What is your greatest indulgence? Fudge and Fois gras(although not together)
2. Tell me your biggest fear.
the return of the austere minimalism of the 1990's- I know it was all about a reaction of the OTT 80's but it was just so boring...!
3. Your favorite red carpet moment of all time?
I am split between two... Liz Hurly wearing the safety-pin Versace dress to the premiere of Four Weddings and a Funeral in 1994- if a red carpet ever had a lasting impact- then it was then ...and of course Audrey Hepburn with that White, belted flower patterned Givenchy dress she wore when she received the Oscar for Best actress in 1954 for roman Holiday- I loooove Audrey
4. Your most treasured piece of jewelry, and why?
My great grandfather had been separated from my great grandmother when he'd been a prisoner of war on an island off the coast of Africa. During this time he carved two little brooches with a pen knife, one in bone & one in ivory. These have been my most treasured possessions ever since I discovered them in my mother's jewelry box
5. White gold, yellow gold or mix it all up?
Depends on the piece and my mood
6. Who is your favorite fictional character?
I do like Barbarella...
7. Your greatest love is…
my beloved partner and husband of course
8. Who is your hero?
superficial me: Audrey Hepburn
intellectual me :Nelson Mandela

9. Who is your favorite jewelry designer? (other than Anton Heunis)
Costume: Elsa Schiaparelli
Fine...difficult, but think I would have to go for Cartier- but the Cartier that designed for the maharajas, not the one that makes mass produced eternity rings...
10. Who do you most admire, alive or deceased?
Alive: Nelson Mandela
Deceased: Mozart

11. Your favorite movie?
Les Parapluies de Cherbourg( The Umbrellas of Cherbourg) by Jacques Demy- staring a very young Catherine Deneuve
12. Newspapers & magazines: print or online?
Definitely print for leisure reading. online for communication & instant information.
13. Your favorite ice cream flavor?
I recently bought this high tech ice-cream machine so my favorites are changing daily depending my creativity
Peanut butter & banana... marshmallow vanilla &dulce de leche... but I have started making savory ones- tomato sorbet or parmesan cream- they are amazing as a starter for a summer meal!
14. Facebook or Twitter?
FB every time.
15. Style icon?
...it has to be Audrey Hepburn
16. If you could design a piece of jewelry right now, based on your current mood and surroundings, what would it be?
Spain has just beaten Germany in the semifinals in the world cup- so it would probably end up looking like a Swarovski encrusted vuvuzuela in red and yellow....
17. Black or white?
Black or White or black... or white...grey?? depends on my mood.
18. The best part of New York City is
I love New York, the energy, the shopping ,the amazing restaurants... I don't have a best part-I have many... to shop for gifts, I would say Henri Bendel, to shop for myself...Barneys and to eat Thomas Keller's Per Se
19. Tell me your greatest asset and your biggest flaw.
Asset= chaotic perfectionist
Flaw= chaotic perfectionist

20. If you could have any piece from Fragments, what would it be?
I have so much jewellery that I would have to choose a dinner date with all the lovely girls at fragments (Rob is also invited )

You can catch a glimpse of Anton's jewelry here on Fragments.com, and learn more about the designer and his collections on his official site. Please feel free to call us if you are interested or have any questions! We hope you love Anton as much as we do!


xo,
Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment