Wednesday, September 1, 2010

DESIGNER SPOTLIGHT: Mallary Marks

I am so excited to feature a designer today who I truly admire for her exquisite talent and beautiful craftsmanship. Mallary Marks, a designer who we've been carrying in our store for quite some time, creates stunning, very feminine jewelry, that many people often say resembles candy. She is all about COLOR. Mallary is a long time Fragments favorite, and a very dear friend. So, featuring her in today's Designer Spotlight is a real thrill for me. I'm very excited to introduce you all to Mallary Marks, I hope you find her as fabulous as we do...

1. What is your greatest indulgence? chocolate, travel
2. Tell me your biggest fear. no chocolate, no travel, no clean water left on the planet
3. Your favorite red carpet moment of all time? Julia Roberts in the movie Notting Hill filmed at a movie premier wearing my earrings!
4. Your most treasured piece of jewelry, and why? Impossible to pick. My irreplaceable emerald briollette necklace because I purchased the emeralds 15 years ago and have never seen the color or size of them again. So beautiful and mouth watering. The inspiring antique tribal indian mesh silver bracelet because the way it is made is so simply and yet looks complex and exotic all at once. It reminds me of my first trip to india with my mom. The colored glass necklace I got in england when I was 13 because it reminds me of a wonderful family vacation. Its so colorful and cheerful and has inspired many of my pieces since.
5. White gold, yellow gold or mix it all up? absolutely yellow, it accents the colored gemstones i work with, its warmth and richness like sunshine
6. Who is your favorite fictional character? all of my favorite characters are non-fictional.

7. Your greatest love is… well if we are not talking people then i would say gemstones, gold, travel, the mediterranean, and my dog Gobi
8. Who is your hero? alexander calder, odilon redon, matisse
9. Who is your favorite jewelry designer? (other than yourself) alexander calder, african and indian jewelry, antique jewelry, modern jewelry, bubble gum machine jewelry, i love jewelry
10. Who do you most admire, alive or deceased? alive
11. Your favorite movie? tempest by john cassavetes, moulin rouge, chocolat, my man godfrey are some of my favorites
12. Newspapers & magazines: print or online? PRINT! tactile
13. Your favorite ice cream flavor? mint chip
14. Facebook or Twitter? neither in truth
15. Style icon? hard to pick, you can admire so many people for so many different aspects of their style. simple and pure, romantic, exotic, avant garde
16. If you could design a piece of jewelry right now, based on your current mood and surroundings, what would it be? exotic labor intensive colorful earrings
17. Black or white? COLOR!
18. The best part of New York City is... diversity and everything at your finger tips. i call it the land of instant gratification
19. Tell me your greatest asset and your biggest flaw. easily pleased, easily disappointed
20. If you could have any piece from Fragments, what would it be? something of mine of course

Mallary's beautiful creations can be found at Fragments. Feel free to call, 212.334.9588, for more information and of course stop by and visit! 116 Prince Street, between Greene & Wooster.

Have a great day and a wonderful holiday weekend!

Love,

Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment