Thursday, March 18, 2010

Designer Spotlight: Vanessa Montiel

Good morning, everyone!

First, I want to thank all of you for your constant love and support. We have received a great response to the blog and I am so happy about it. Please continue sending me your thoughts, ideas and questions. Remember, Fragments' fans and customers are so important to me and I want to make this an exciting experience for all of my readers.

Today, I am featuring Fragments designer Vanessa Montiel, known for her signature collection hand carved from Water Buffalo Horn. A powerful material, permeated with spiritual energy. Vanessa's collection is extremely special because she not only creates unique and beautiful jewelry, but every piece is eco-friendly. She refers to her business as "socially conscious" and a business that encourages independence for local women.

Oprah is just one of Vanessa's many celebrity fans and has been spotted wearing a pair of her earrings on several occasions, including on the cover of her magazine! I respect and admire Vanessa for the powerful message behind her brand, and I am thrilled to share her with you. Vanessa had a lot of fun answering my "20 questions," and I know you will enjoy her answers as much as I did.

1. What is your greatest indulgence?

Disappearing by boat for weeks on end into the Indian Ocean, while looking for that perfect uncrowded surf spot! Living half the year in Bali has its perks!

2. Tell me your biggest fear.

My biggest fear is having to do the same thing over and over again.

3. Your favorite red carpet moment of all time?

Ive always been one for underdog, so maybe the cast of Slumdog Millionaires hitting the rad carpet in glee.

4. Your most treasured piece of jewelry, and why?

My most treasured piece of jewelry came from a Candy machine long ago, its fun and its playful and I can take it anywhere. It makes people laugh!

5. White gold, yellow gold or mix it all up?

Definitely mix it all up!

6. Who is your favorite fictional character?

Jeannie, there is something appealing about a woman who can make anything appear or disappear at the wink of an eye. Plus, she lives in a glamorous bottle that travels through space and time.

7. Your greatest love is…

My greatest love is the ocean and Bali, the people and her culture.

8. Who is your hero?

Hmm... Amelia Earhart or Bethany Hamilton. Both are adventures pioneering women.

9. Who is your favorite jewelry designer?

Annette Ferdinandsen, her work is so sculptural, elegant and organic.

10. Who do you most admire, alive or deceased?

Absolutely hands down, my great aunt Osiris Arias. She was an incredible awe inspiring woman who gave me the courage to follow my dreams and never stop.

11. Your favorite movie?

Let's go with Black Orpheus, I have a weakness for Brazil with all of its complexities and passion.

12. Newspapers & magazines: print or online?

Most definitely print, a newspaper in the morning with a good cup of joe!

13. Your favorite ice cream flavor?

Chocolate and Cinnamon, it reminds me of my great grandmothers cooking.

14. Facebook or Twitter?

Facebook, I have yet to jump on the twitter wagon.

15. Style icon?

Audrey Hepburn, style maven of all time.

16. If you could design a piece of jewelry right now, based on your current mood and surroundings, what would it be?

Well, it would have to unfold into 100 stories. So, it would be some form of a magical container carved out of my favorite... horn, which then would contain painted stories coiled into a prayer wheel form, with loose diamonds and a little window to let the sun in!

17. Black or white?

It depends, on the season.

18. The best part of New York City is...

The diversity of artist and talent living in one small area throbbing with possibility.

19. Tell me your greatest asset and your biggest flaw.

An insatiable curiosity coupled with independence. Yet, that same thirst makes it hard to commit to anyone thing!

20. If you could have any piece from Fragments, what would it be (other than your own jewelry?)

That's a tough one, but probably Gurhan jewelry.

Here are a couple of images of Vanessa's jewelry. She has also just launched a great collection for Bergdorf Goodman 5F!



What do you think of Vanessa Montiel's jewelry and how would you wear it? I look forward to hearing from you.

xoxo,
Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment